Saturday, March 7, 2009

Growing Pains

The past two weeks have been ones of great learning. I suppose that is what I'm here to do. Inevitably, this learning has come at considerable expense to my health: stress, nightmares, headaches, the whole nine yards. But emerging on the other side, so to speak, is definitely a nice sensation. In one week, I started (researching) and completed three midterm essays, which were the bane of my existence for those 7 days. Writing intelligent about subjects which one does not understand is considerably harder than I imagined. In writing my political & cultural geography paper, I believe I did more research on just the simple chronology of events during the Troubles then actually digging deeper into the meaning and ramifications of those events. I continue to be lost in my Medieval Europe class, however entertaining it is, and I'm dreading writing the final essay. We haven't gotten to Charlemagne and Pippin though, which cannot disappoint.

I traveled to Dublin yet again for a weekend getaway on the 27th. I thought I had figured out the city bus system, but alas, I've yet to understand why it is so unreliable. It runs on 'Irish time' apparently, and I'm still on good o'le Massachusetts time. I appreciate the timeliness of things back in the States, however, I do like the slower pace of life I'm experiencing here. Anyway, I arrived in Dublin just in time to have a lovely dinner with the Butler girls, accompanied by Alex and her friend Jeff. The next morning, it was off to the coffee shop with Sarah to work hard on our respective essays. We were, however, unusually unproductive. To my great pleasure, the Pavach clan--Rory's family-- stopped by Starbucks (yes, I was at Starbucks) to say hello after their journey across the pond. Later that evening we joined them in the Bleeding Horse (a famous old pub--google it!) for the six nation's rugby match between Ireland and England… one of the reasons for my sojourn to Dublin. In an exhilarating (but rather ugly) match, Ireland defeated England 14 to 13, defending their top rank. Sarah and I matched the Irishman cheer for cheer, and I am determined to become fully educated on the subject of rugby. So far that entails watching post-game analysis on the sports channel while eating breakfast.

The Pavachs treated the flat (Sarah, Claire & Emma) and me to brunch on Sunday, and it was just lovely. I've developed a slight obsession with smoked salmon & cream cheese bagels, and I was delighted to see that they had it on the menu. Even though I'm almost positive they have it everywhere in Ireland. Saying goodbye after brunch was difficult as I've come to see the Dubliners as my second family here in Ireland. They are the sweetest hostesses, and I really appreciate them letting me crash on their couch every once and a while (thank you Rory!). I'm already planning my next visit…

It was difficult to focus on the journey back to Galway, and I ended up staring out the window for most of the trip. Early on there were two beautiful rainbows, and the landscape seemed much to magical for me to waste a bus trip typing on my computer. I managed (somehow) to finish my essay on Monday, and I've been sleeping ever since.

Rainbow #1

Rainbow #2

I got a break from my sleep-eat-go to class routine on Wednesday when the Lee, Mark and Lydia Pavach arrived in Galway and took me out to dinner at a fabulous Thai place right down by the bay. The snow had turned to rain (and wind) by evening, and it felt so cozy and warm in the restaurant. For awhile I forgot that I was in Ireland. Not that I like to forget, but sometimes its nice to feel like you aren't an outsider…to feel like you belong somewhere.

Its now the weekend, and I'm deep into researching for my final exams. Classes end in four weeks (that means only 12 more days of class, as I only have college 3 days a week), so I'm tying to finish some things early before I start traveling over spring break. I'm hoping to make it to London and Scotland before I head home to the states in late May. If anyone wants to join me in my travels, I'd love to have the company :)

Now, for the little things I've learned this week:

I read in the Times that the baby Giraffe at the Dublin Zoo has been given the name 'Neema'. It is Swahili for prosperity. A six year old entered the name, and there was an adorable picture of her petting the Giraffe in the paper. I guess it would have been awkward for a girl to be named Ernest.

Northern Ireland children have their future determined at the age of 11, courtesy of the Education Act of 1947, which instituted the 11+ exam-- what amounts to an SAT for grammar school children. My tutorial leader actually was refused a position at a secondary school because of the grammar school he attended in Belfast. Gee whiz, I've enough stress at age 20 about these things.

There is a Irish reality tv show called 'Feirm Factor', where farmers compete in a variety of farm-related tasks, and the judges determine who has the breadth of experience and skill to handle all aspects of farming--from sheep to masonry. I love it. Unfortunately, the season is almost over. I had high hopes of learning the tricks of the trade.

And finally, my Government Policy & Economic Development professor loves Ann Arbor. When I went to speak to him about my midterm, he went on and on about how lovely Ann Arbor is at Halloween, with pumpkins galore and the trees all turning brilliant colors :)

That’s all for now… I wish my little fingers were not so tired of writing. Below are links to my facebook photo albums of Ireland for those of you who aren't able to see them. Love you all,

Caitlin

A New Life on a New Shoreline:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054437&id=10403625&l=f3b3f


Home Away from Home:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2054443&id=10403625&l=29d05

No comments:

Post a Comment