"As [Cowen and Obama] sat side by side in the room which has shaped so much of the history of the world, and as they stood side by side afterwards in the iconic Roosevelt Room with a bowl of shamrock between them, it was all about the little country that has boxed above its weight for so long, and is now staggering about punch-drunk from economic shocks. But Barack is in our corner."-Irish Independent, Vol. 188, No. 65
It occurred to me that perhaps the significance of this event escaped the American news. I think I'm finally beginning to understand the tremendous amount of hope that has been placed on Obama's shoulders.
Speaking of understanding, I had a very successful week in school. My Medieval Europe professor pulled out the maps & genealogical charts, which is just what I needed. I knew that Charlemagne would interest me. I think that stems from reading the Song of Roland in Humanities… one of the more interesting assignments. I feel like I'm just starting to think critically in my classes… with 6 more days to go. Better late than never? The whole Irish education system seems to be based on regurgitation: of course, this is a generalization, but bear with me. I came across a section in the paper called 'Economics Exam Brief' the other day, and immediately thought it was some sort of satire (something along the lines of The Onion). It turns out that it is actually very real: all Irish students complete the Leaving Cert, an exam at the end of secondary school. Their score on this exam (of up to 10 subjects) is the sole determinant of which University program they are accepted to. One exam. That’s your only chance. And each school has different requirements for level achieved on the Leaving Cert (e.g. Trinity College Dublin would most likely have a higher threshold than NUI Galway.) Can you imagine your entire education based on passing an exam? Where you study and prepare 'correct' answers? And all of a sudden, you are expected to think critically in College? Yikes. Thank you, Ann Arbor Public Schools.
Its remarkable that any work has gotten done this week as St Paddy's day started off a 4-day stretch of fun in the sun. It is actually 66 degrees in my apartment at the moment-- officially the warmest its been inside. I managed to get a tan (relatively speaking) while watching the parade on Tuesday, and I'm seriously considering investing in some sunscreen. The parade, interestingly enough, didn't necessarily focus on Irish heritage. There weren't any dancers. No traditional music. The only evidence of 'Irishness' were the swarms of school children dressed in uniform with pom-poms and tin whistles. But it was entertaining nonetheless. Here are some highlights:
Shop Street Onlookers Eagerly Awaiting Parade

Yes, an American Flag

And the Sun!
* A bit of St Paddy's day trivia: The earliest known reference to St. Patrick's day can be found in the biography of Geretrudis, daughter of Pippin der Altere (the first Pippin), which was written a few years after her death on the 17th of March in the year AD 659. On her deathbed on the 16th of March, she was consoled by an Irishman, saying that if she held on for one more day, she would be greeted by St. Patrick himself in Heaven. Geretrudis was the sister of Begga, the great-great-grandmother of Charlemagne!*With the coming of spring--and longer days-- I've been doing some more exploring around town. I discovered a new route to school that takes me by two little ponies in the middle of a suburb, and down to a rather nice view of the river valley. I was so overjoyed with finding the ponies that I walk the extra 15 minutes home to visit them. I feel more at home when I'm out and about, with no destination in particular. I like knowing that homes exist out there-- that the whole of Galway isn't comprised of students-- and I like knowing that life exists outside of the college, which seems to consume much of Galway.
Ponies Grazing on River Bank

I Wish I Knew His Name...
While I'm settling down to work this weekend, I'm very excited to watch the rugby match tomorrow. Ireland is poised to go undefeated in the six nations, which is a VERY big deal. I'll be outfitted in my jersey, and in the pub tomorrow at 5:30. My paper will just have to wait.I've so much more I could write about, but I fear that if I go on, it will just continue to get more and more disorganized and unintelligible. I'll have to leave some stories to tell when I get home.
P.S. I realize all my blog titles have something to do with the sun, and/or Beatles songs. I must be warming up to the sun (I wish I could say no pun intended). Bear with me!
Cheers
Caitlin






No comments:
Post a Comment