Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is Feidir Linn

Ireland 17, Wales 15.

I thought they wouldn't make it. Perhaps just to lower my expectations, so I need not feel as disappointed. But no, they pulled it off. The little engine that could. Or, was it the little country that had boxed above its weight for so long? I can't keep my metaphors straight. In any case, the thrill of Saturday night's success at pulling off the Grand Slam must have motivated me to work similarly as hard. For all my assignments were turned in early this week. Great success.

Today as I was walking through town I heard a strangely familiar song coming from the music store on Shop Street... and lo and behold, it was familiar (for those of you who know of my complete lack of contemporary musical knowledge, this should come as some surprise). It was the Woody Guthrie tune 'This Land is Your Land' (hardly contemporary, I know... but I was pleased nonetheless), but with very different lyrics. I decided to investigate. Turns out, Ireland has come up with it's own lyrics... often times sung as an Irish rebel song. Little known fact of the day.

Ah, Spring is definitely upon us here in Galway. The Daffodils are past their prime, as are the crocuses. The Viburnum is blooming along the roadsides, affording pleasant scents to the casual walker when the breeze is just right. I glimpsed some Rhodedendron on a hillside the other day, as well as some Violets at the foot of the shrubs around campus. Mom arrives in 1 week, and I'm looking forward to touring the countryside and surveying all of the wildflowers.

And now, I'm looking forward to some sleep. Just thought I'd share the good things :)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. oh how you make me smile :) please come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your post was the perfect start to my day! you make ireland sound so beautiful - i can't wait to come visit you!!!

    ReplyDelete